Under SBM(U) all the 135 ULBs have been declared as Open Defecation Free cities. However, it is a big challenge for the cities to maintain ODF status. The Government is committed to make all urban areas truly ODF by providing universal access to toilets.
So far 5,07,143 Individual House Hold Latrine (IHHL), 22,337 seats of Community toilets has been constructed under SBM urban. Purchase of primary collection vehicles such as battery operated vehicles, light commercial vehicles and Tipper lorry, construction of Micro Composting Centers, Resource Recovery Centers and other infrastructure works have been taken up and completed under SBM.
In Continuation Swachh Bharat Mission 2.0 was launched on 1st October 2021 for 5 years from 1st October 2021 – 1st October 2026, for completing the balance works from SBM (U), institutionalizing ‘swachh’ behavior and making it sustainable.
The objective of SBM 2.0 is to sustain i) Open Defecation Free status in all Statutory towns, to ensure that no untreated faecal sludge or wastewater is discharged into the environment, and all wastewater (including sewerage and septage, grey water and black water) is safely contained, transported and treated, along with maximum reuse of treated waste water, in all cities with less than 1 lakh population.
- ii) And also to make all cities clean and garbage free, with 100% scientific processing of Municipal Solid Waste, source segregation, effective management of Construction & Demolition waste, plastic waste management and remediating all legacy waste dumpsites
iii) Ensure awareness creation along with large scale citizen outreach to intensify ‘Jan Andolan’ and institutionalize swachh behavior and to create institutional capacity
The Mandatory conditions to be fulfilled by States/ UTs and ULBs:
- Aligning property tax floor rates with market rates, with periodic revisions in line with GSDP, as recommended by 15thFC
- Levy & collection of user charges for services provided, to recover operational costs, with periodic increase within a period of two years
- PFMS adopted by all ULBs
The Centre: State distribution of the Project fund will be as under:
- 25%: 75% for > 10 lakh population ULBs
- 33%: 67% for 1 lakh – 10 lakh population ULBs (both included)
- 50%: 50% for< 1 lakh population ULBs