SBM

      The Ministry of Urban development,Government of India had launched the Swachh Bharat Mission on 02.10.2014 for a period of five years with the mission objectives of (i) Elimination of open defecation, (ii) Eradication of Manual scavenging, (iii) Modern & scientific Municipal solid waste management, (iv) to effect behavioral change regarding healthy sanitation practices, (v) Generate awareness about sanitation and its linkage with public health, (vi) Capacity augmentation for urban local Bodies and to create enable environment for private sector participation in capital expenditure and operational expenditure (Capex & Opex).

      The Government of Tamil Nadu has accorded administrative Sanction for the implementation of the scheme of Swachh Bharat Mission with components comprising construction of individual household latrine, community toilet, solid waste management, IEC activities, capacity building A & OE charges. State Level High Powered Committee has been constituted under the Chairmanship of Principal Secretary, MAWS department for proper implementation and supervision of works under the programme.

1.IHHL

        With a vision to eradicate the open defecation,construction of Individual house hold toilet has been the main component of the Swachh Bharat Mission. Out of the targeted 5,06,491 no.of IHHL, a total no.of   5,05,950 IHHLs had been completed and the remaining toilets will be completed before Aug 2020

2.Community Toilet:

        This facility is being created for providing sanitation facilities to the households without land for the construction of IHHL. Out of the targeted 22397 seats, 22074 seats had been completed and the remaining 323 seats will be completed before Aug 2020.

3.Conversion of Insanitary latrines to sanitary latrines and ODF status:

        A total no.of 79988 ISL had been converted in to sanitary latrines and as a result of all the above efforts, 648 ULBs out of 664 ULBs had been declared ODF in the State and the State is taking all efforts to declare itself as ODF before Aug 2020.

4.Solid Waste Management:

    The Government of India initially granted 20% share of the total estimated cost for eachSWM project and now the share has been increased to 35 % for each SWM projects and the State government also share 55% of grant under Special Solid waste management fund. So far 6297 works have been sanctioned under solid waste management component in 664 ULBsviz;15 corporations, 121 Municipalities 528 Town Panchayats at a total estimated cost of Rs.1800Crore.  Of the 6297 works 4874 works have been completed so far and remaining works are in various stage of implementation.

Tamil Nadu, being the most progressive and urbanized State in the Nation has taken tremendous efforts in the arena of Solid Waste Management and had achieved 96% D2D collection, 84% source segregation and 70 % processing of waste. Steps are being taken to achieve 100% D2D collection before 31.07.20 and Source segregation &processing before 31.07.20 respectively.

In a bid to ease the burden of sanitary workers and infuse a sense of pride among the sanitary workers, the collection process has been completely mechanized with the purchase of 5846 BOVs and 1227 LCVs.

Efforts are being taken to scientifically process/ dispose each and every fraction of waste being generated.

5.IEC

        Under IEC component of SBM, the State had adopted an unique approach of engagement of Animators, Supervisors and Coordinators for carrying out IEC activities through personal contact with the public. Widespread IEC activities related to curbing Open defecation practice among the citizens, promoting source segregation of waste generated by the households and encouraging home composting among the households besides emphasizing them to practice home composting, advocating clean and healthy sanitation practices among the citizens are being carried out utilizing the manpower engaged for this purpose.

6.Capacity Building, Administrative & Office Expenditure

Government had approved and ordered vide G.O.(Ms) No.12 MAWS (MA2) Department dated 27.01.2016 to engage 1 PMU at State Mission Directorate and 9 PIU at regional level including DTP and GCC.In continuation to that, 1 PMU unit at Mission Directorate and 9 PIU units at regional level are in place.