Storm Water Drains


The existing drainage condition of Vaniyambadi consists of Open Drainage System and connected from palar river

The present condition At Present the Municipality Maintenance 59.88 length of drains most of the streets of the Municipality are covered by proper drainage more over most of the existing open drains are damaged and are not functioning properly. Thus substandard and inadequate drainage and lock of proper sanitation facilities post health hazards on the entire town are in general and in high density area in particular. Hence the construction of the drain particularly on main roads are of great urgency.

Municipal Storm Water Drainage System

In nature the Vaniyambadi town Plain surface, which drain the storm water. Moreover, the Urban Local Body also provides pucca water drainage facility in the major portion of the town. The existing storm water drains mainly carry the wastewater disposal and in many places the storm water drains are functioning as wastewater drains, which create environmental problems and need regular maintenance by the ULB, is show in Table.

Drain Type

Length (KM)

Percentage Coverage (%)

Open pucca/surfaced 35.33 100
Total drains (Km) 35.33 100
No Culvert facilities 425 100
Total road length (Km) 87.80 100.00

The information provided in the above Table indicates that nearly 68.66% of the roads are provided with storm water drainage facilities and the rest of 31.33% roads are not provided with drains, which are drained through available natural condition. The observation relating to storm water drainage facility indicates inadequate planning and designing, as majority of the drains are provided in bits and pieces without any integration between the drains, this is due to the presence of scattered development.