In Vaniyambadi Municipality, an average of 33 metric Tonnes of Solid Waste is being generated, of which 100% is collected door to door on daily basis in segregated manner. Solid waste collected is segregated into wet (bio-degradable) and dry (non-biodegradable). About 18 MT of wet waste collected is transported to the earmarked micro compost centers where it is processed into manure by tub composting. There are 6 micro compost centers each having a capacity of 4MT/day for decentralized processing of wet waste.
|S. NO||MICRO COMPOST CENTERS||COVERED WARDS||NO.OF HOUSE HOLDS|
|TOTAL||WARDS – 36||18061|
In addition to from MCC, there are 8 onsite composting Centers, where the wet waste generated in there premises and near by earmarked households are collected and processed. They are located as follows.
|S.NO||ONSITE COMPOSTING CENTERS||PROCESSING CAPACITY|
|2||GANDHI NAGAR PARK|
|4.||TEACHERS COLONY PARK|
|6.||MUNICIPAL HIGH SCHOOL, KONAMEDU|
Dry waste is further categorized and handled as follows:
- Recyclable dry waste is collected on every Wednesdays and sold to the recyclers and the amount realized is distributed to the sanitary workers as an incentive.
- Non recyclable non saleable dry waste which is combustible is being sent to the Ultratech Cement Factory, Ariyalur regularly.
- Domestic hazardous waste such as diapers, napkins are incinerated in the incinerators installed in the respective microcompost centers.
- E-waste is collected on every Thursday and stored in Resource recovery centre at Valayampattu and is being transported to TNPCB authorized vendor TES AMM Pvt Ltd, Sriperumbudur.
- Construction and Demolition waste is deposited by the residents at the earmarked location at Weekly Market.
As per the Solid Waste Management Rules 2016, 14 Bulk Waste
Management Rules 2016 14 Bulk Waste generators have been identified in the city and they are practicing the on site processing of their wet waste. Solid Waste Management Bye-law has been framed to monitor the management of solid waste generated and to punish the offenders.
Plastic bye-law has been framed to ban the manufacture, marketing and use of one time use and throw away plastics and is being implemented.
Vaniyambadi has been certified as open defecation free city under Swacch Bharat Mission.
Solid Waste generated is collected and transported through 2 tipper Lorries,, 7 Light Commercial Vehicles and 38 Battery Operated Vehicles.