Tiruchirappalli Municipality was constituted on 08.07.1866. The Municipality was upgraded as City Municipal Corporation with effect from 01.06.1994 by adding the adjacent Municipalities, Town Panchayats and Village Panchayats.
The administration of the City Municipal Corporation is carried out according to the Tiruchirappalli City Municipal Corporation Act 1994. The City is subdivided into 4 Administrative Zones and 65 Wards for effective administration. The Tiruchirappalli City Municipal Corporation Council was constituted with a Mayor and 65 Ward Councilors representing each ward. The Worshipful Mayor conducts council meetings, at least once in a month.
The Constitution’s 74th Amendment, which aims at making the Urban Local Bodies (ULBs) as vibrant Local self Government Institutions, list out the functions to be transferred to Urban Local Bodies. The 12th schedule in the constitution has identified the following functions within the domain of Urban Local Bodies. Click here to view the Constitution’s 74th Amendment
Accordingly, the functions of the City Municipal Corporation are as follows:
• Urban planning including town planning.
• Regulation of land-use and construction of buildings.
• Planning for economic and social development.
• Safeguarding the interest of weaker sections of society, including the handicapped and mentally retarded.
• Slum improvement and up-gradation.
• Urban poverty alleviation.
• Water supply for domestic, industrial and commercial purpose.
• Formation and Maintenance of Roads and bridges within the Corporation Limit.
• Maintenance of public amenities including street lighting, parking lots, bus stops and public conveniences.
• Public health, sanitation facility and solid waste management.
• Burials and burial grounds; cremations, cremation grounds and electric crematoriums.
• Regulation of slaughter houses and tanneries.
• Vital statistics including registration of births and deaths.
• Provision of urban amenities and facilities such as parks.
• Promotion of cultural, educational and aesthetic aspects.