Storm Water Drains

The existing drainage condition of Tirupattur consists of natural river and man – made drainage system (storm water open drains). Due to the nature terrain condition, all the man – made storm water drains are connected with natural.

The present condition of storm water drains also carries the sullage and sewage water, which the sewerage farm. Altogether the existing storm water drains characterized by the low carrying capacity due to encroachments in the urban area, which reduces the regular flow and add constraint to the existing drainage system.

Municipal Storm Water Drainage System

Tirupattur town moreover, the Urban Local Body also provides pucca water drainage facility in the major portion of the town. The existing storm water drains mainly carry the wastewater disposal and in many places the storm water drains are functioning as wastewater drains, which create environmental problems and need regular maintenance by the ULB, is show in Table.

Drain Type Length (KM)
Open pucca/surfaced 42.966
Kutcha/Unlines 28.786
Total drains (Km) 71.752
No drainage facilities 5.450
Total road length (Km) 91.861

The information provided in the above Table indicates that nearly 80% of the roads are provided with storm water drainage facilities and the rest of 20% roads are not provided with drains, which are drained through available natural terrain condition. The observation relating to storm water drainage facility indicates inadequate planning and designing, as majority of the drains are provided in bits and pieces without any integration between the drains, this is due to the presence of scattered development and undulated terrain condition in Tirupattur town.