About Us

General Information
Tambaram Town is situated 24 K.M. south of the Capital City of Chennai. The famous Grand Southern Trunk Road and Railway route from Chennai Egmore to Kanyakumari divide the town into east and West. The Municipal Town, Tambaram is described as Gateway of the Beautiful Metropolitan City, Chennai.

Tambaram is very popular because of the existence of world-renowned Madras Christian College, IAF training center, and the first commissioned suburban trains from Tambaram to Beach. Nowadays almost all trains to southern parts of Tamil Nadu start only from Tambaram. This Municipal Town is also proud of being home to a number of industrial units established at the Madras Export Processing Zone (MEPZ). The units in the MEPZ export various items to several foreign countries thereby earning foreign exchange for the country


Tambaram town has recorded with a literacy rate of 82% in the year 2001 and this has increased from 75% in the year 1991. Among the literate population nearly 52% are male literate and remaining 48% are female literate as per 2001 census. Generally, the composition of female literate among the female population has increased from 70% 91991) to 78% (2001).which is higher than the growth of male literate from 81% (1991) to 86 %( 2001


The working population constitutes  55  % of the total population and majority of them are engaged in Business & Industrial activities i.e. 62% in Industrial and Business related activities. Secondary Sector is the second important activity and nearly 25% of the total workers are engaged in business and related allied activities. Only 20% of the total workers are engaged in Primary Sector especially in Tea Plantations and Agriculture activities.


Tambaram Town is a taluk head quarters and is known for  industries and education. The town is surrounded by number of Colleges, Schools and Industries and there are many companies within the Municipal area. The famous Export zone [ MEPZ – it consist of various garments,Software,Electronic and others ] is functioning here.


The Tambaram town is having 100.463 K.M length of roads  and the Municipality is maintaining ‘C” grade Bus stand in the heart of the town. There is a  old Municipal market having 499 shops which helps in promoting commercial and economic activities of the town.

The Tamil Nadu state Bus transport corporation is providing 95% of transport facilities to this town. Besides the southern Railway is providing train facilities through Tambaram Railway station which is a 67 old Railway station. Train facilities are available to all southern districts.

Other Informations

Name of the Municipality  : Tambaram

Date of constitution as Gr III Municipality  :1.12.1964  G.O. MSNo. 1756 RD&LA     Dept.Dt.15.11.1978

Upgradation as Gr II Municipality  :G.O. MS No. 509 RD&LA Dept.Dt.17.4.

Area of the Municipality : 20.72 Sq.km

Revenue villages :       1.Kadapperi




Population  :          1991  -107,187

                                   2001 –133,847

Total No of Wards     :39

Reserved For Women    : 11

Reserved For SC Women: 2

Reserved For SC Men    :3

No. of Households          : 26,333

No. of Slums                      :   17 Notified

:  7-Unnotified

Slum Population       : Notified -30840


No. of people in the Below Poverty Line List    : 9171