About Us

History of Municipality and Profile of Municipality

Sathyamangalam is a class-III town and also the Headquarters for Sathyamangalam Taluk in Erode District. The town was upgraded as a third Grade Municipality from the status of Town Panchayat on 17.1.1970, as per G.O.Ms.No. 58 RDLS Dept. dated 12.1.70, and subsequently raised as a second grade Municipality on 1.4.77 as per G.O.Ms.No. 642 RDLA Dept. dated 15.4.77. It is functioning as First Grade Municipality as per G.O.Ms.No. 855, MAWS Dept., Dated 22.5.98. The Municipality includes Sathyamangalam, Varadhampalayam, Kottuveerampalayam and Rangasamudram Revenue Villages, and having an extent of 29.24 Sq.Km. and is the second largest Municipality in Tamil Nadu with reference to the area and with the population as per 2001 census is 33,748.

!,02 Sathyamangalam town is situated on the southern side of Western ghats which extends towards the east from The Nilgiris. The town is located at 11 degree 14 minutes East longitude. It is located at a distance of 7 km, from the ghats in Sathyamangalam Taluk of Erode district. The town lies close to the border of the adjoining Karnataka State. The nearby Bhavanisagar Dam, a picnic spot and Bannari Mariamman Temple, a Pilgrim Centre, both attract people and tourists all the year round. There is also a heavy movement of people to Karnataka State, especially to Mysore and Kollegal through this town.

The town is situated at a distance of 65 kms.from Erode. The Head Quarters of Erode District is linked with State Highways (SH 15) .The Coimbatore Mysore National Highways ( NH 209) passes through this town. The nearest Railway Station is Mettupalayam in Coimbatore District, at a distance of 43 Km. The Erode Railway Junction is serving as an out agency for Sathyamangalam. The town is also linked with Gobichettipalayam, Bhavani Sagar, Mettupalayam and Bhavani Town with District roads, and links the towns of Samraj Nagar and Mysore in neighbouring Karnataka State, through National Highway Roads. The nearest Airport is located at Coimbatore, 68 kms, away.
Summary of Activities and features of Municipality

29.24 Sq.Km area of Municipality ,consisting of 27 Wards and 33748 People, are being covered with proper Sanitation arrangements and proper protected water supply, not less than 110 LPCD, and proper drainage system with the length of 30.86 Km.

Registration of Birth&Death,Controlling of Epidemics,Maintenance of Maternity and Child Health care, Licence Issue in Dangerous and Offensive Trades, Monitoring of water chlorination, are being carried out properly by the Health staff.

Proper disposal of Garbage is being carried out systematically to the Compost Yard by proper Vehicles.

One Municipal Burial ground and one Slaughter House are being maintained properly.

General Information of this Municipality Physiography

The general topography of this town is not flat and the town is generally covered by the slopping lands with steadily lying land in the North towards ghat stretches. The river Bhavani flows at the center of the town from west to east. Agricultural wet lands are predominant on both sides of the river. The dry lands are predominant in the northern side of the town. Due to the surrounding agricultural land, the weekly market at Sathyamangalam serves the marketing needs of the rural people.

Sathyamangalam is a medium size town with an agricultural linter land on all sides. It is one of the Taluk Head Quarters in Erode District and also an urban center located near the state boundaries of Tamil Nadu and Karnataka. It is one of the very old settlements of Tamil Nadu. The town has developed on both sides of Bhavani River and along the Highways Road. The rate of urban growth of Sathyamangalam is very low, because the Northern side of this Municipality is surrounded by reserved forests. Poor Industrial activities are also one of the reasons for slow growth rate of urban development. The major commercial activity is concentrated in the middle of the town. Most of the shops are located along Sathy-Gobi road , Sathy-Bannari road. The Daily market and weekly shandy are located at Sathy-Athani road. The Busstand is also located in the east of the town along Sathy-Gobi road. Bannariamman Sugarcane Factory and Bannariamman Engineering and Kamadane Arts College are running at distance of 6 kms., from this town. These institute partially fulfills the need of education facilities of the people of this town.

Sathyamangalam Municipality area in 29.24 Km . It has been notified with vast extent comprising of four revenue villages. Only 10.46 % of Municipal area is developed as urban area and the remaining 89.54% area are left as undeveloped agricultural lands. There is lot of land available for the development, but the scope for the development in the near furture is very low due to financial weakness among the public.