About Us

History and Growth of the Town

Ranipet was built around the year 1771 by Sadut-ulla-khan, the Nawab of Carnatic, in honor of the youthful widow of Desingh Raja of Gingee, who committed Sati upon her husband’s death. Out of respect for Desingh Raja’s valour and his wife’s devotion, the Nawab formed a new village opposite to Arcot on the Northern bank of Palar river and named it Ranipet.

The town gained importance since the establishment of European contonment. About a mile west of Ranipet is a remarkable thope extending along the Palar river, for a distance of 4.8 Km which is known as ‘Navlakh Bagh’. It is supposed to contain 9 lakhs of trees and hence the name “Navlakh Bagh”. South India’s first rail was operated between Royapuram to Ranipet.

On August 15, 2019, Ranipet became the district headquarters for the Ranipet district after announcement of the newly created district. The District has been formally inaugurated and started functioning from 28th November, 2019, then by becoming the 36th District of Tamil Nadu.

Ranipet Municipality was constituted in the year 1959 and was subsequently upgraded as Third Grade Municipality from 01.04.1959 vide G.O.No.724. Upgraded as Second Grade Municipality in the year 1978.  First Grade Municipality from 22-05-1998 and Selection Grade Municipality from 22-11-2008.  It has a population of 50764 (2011 census) and an extent of 8.52 Sq. Km., The town is divided into  30 wards.

Date of Constitution as Third Grade Municipality    :   01.04.1959,G.O.No.724, dated .1-04-1959

Up gradation as Second Grade Municipality            :   01-10-1978,  G.O.No.1546,  dated: 01-10-1978

Up gradation as First Grade Municipality                :   22-05-1998 G.O.No.85,  dated: 22-05-1998

Up gradation as Selection Grade Municipality         :   22-11-2008, G.O.No.238, dated: 22-11-2008