The existing drainage condition of Pernambut consists of natural river and man – made drainage system, all the man – made storm water drains are connected with Palar river systems.
The present condition of storm water drains also carries the sullage and sewage water. The Palar River in the down steams area and mix with the Palar River. This pose a health hazard to the natural water system need to be addressed through a proper treatment facility for the Palar River. This aspect requires immediate attention as the river water is used for drinking purpose.
Altogether the existing storm water drains characterized by the low carrying capacity due to encroachments in the urban area, which reduces the regular flow and add constraint to the existing drainage system.
Municipal Storm Water Drainage System
In nature the Pernambut town has Gradual slopes, which drain the storm water. Moreover, the Urban Local Body also provides pucca water drainage facility in the major portion of the town. The existing storm water drain, the wastewater disposal and in many places the storm water drains are functioning as wastewater create environmental problems and need regular maintenance by the ULB, is shown in Table.
|Drain Type||Length (K.m.)||Percentage Coverage(%)|
|No Drainage facilities||5.50||9.00|
|Total road length (Km)||58.33||100.00|
The information provided in the above Table indicates that nearly 87.00% of the roads are provided with storm water drainage facilities and the rest of 13% roads are not provided with drains, which are drained through available natural terrain condition. The observation relating to storm water drainage facility indicates inadequate designing, as majority of the drains are provided in bits and pieces without any integration between the drains, this is due to the presence of scattered development and undulated terrain condition in Pernambut town.