Storm Water Drains

Storm water drains


The existing drainage condition of Kuzhithurai consists of man – made drainage system (storm water open drains). Due to the nature terrain condition, all the man – made storm water drains are connected with natural river system .

The present condition of storm water drains also carries the sullage and sewage water, which ultimately carried by the down steams area Of the town.

Municipal Storm Water Drainage System
The total of storm water drains in the town is 65.26kms. most being open drains.. The existing storm water drains mainly carry the wastewater disposal and in many places the storm water drains are functioning as wastewater drains, which create environmental problems and need regular maintenance by the ULB, is show in Table.

Drain Type

Length (KM)

Percentage Coverage (%)

Open pucca/surfaced 23.42 91.30
Kutcha/Unlines 2.23 8.70
Total drains (Km) 25.65 100
No drainage facilities Nil
Total road length (Km) 37.89km

The information provided in the above Table indicates that nearly 68.83% of the roads are provided with storm water drainage facilities and the rest of 31.17% roads are not provided with drains, which are drained through available natural terrain condition.