Storm Water Drains

Municipal Storm Water Drainage System

In nature the Kovilpatti town has steeper slopes, which drain the storm water. Moreover, the Urban Local Body also provides pucca water drainage facility in the major portion of the town. The existing storm water drains mainly carry the wastewater disposal and in many places the storm water drains are functioning as wastewater drains, which create environmental problems and need regular maintenance by the ULB, is show in Table.

Drain Type

Length (KM)
Percentage Coverage (%)
  Open pucca/surfaced   142.65   75
  Kutcha/Unlines   —   —
  Total drains (Km)   142.65   —
  No drainage facilities   9.03   25
  Total road length (Km   78.56   100.00

                      The information provided in the above Table indicates that nearly 75% of the roads are provided with storm water drainage facilities and the rest of 25% roads are not provided with drains, which are drained through available natural terrain condition. The observation relating to storm water drainage facility indicates inadequate planning and designing, as majority of the drains are provided in bits and pieces without any integration between the drains, this is due to the presence of scattered development and undulated terrain condition in Kovilpatti town.