Temples and other interesting places
Dindigul Rock fort
The Huge Hill at Dindigul, if we see it from one angle, looks like Pillow (‘Dhindu’) and hence the City is known as Dindigul. On this at a height of 280 ft. In the year 1605 Madurai King ‘Muthu Krishna Naicker’ started the construction of this Fort. In 1623 to 1659 Mannar Thirumalai Naicker completed this. In 1755 Hyder Ali was escorting Fakhr-Un-Nisha his wife and Five years old Tipu to Dindigul. From 1784 to 1790 the Fort was under the rule of ‘Tipu Sultan’. In 1784, the Tipu’s commandant Syed Ibrahim, under whose care the Fort was, constructed many rooms in the Fort, strenthened the walls and also got repaired. During the year 1790 in the Mysore war Tipu was defeated and the Fort came into the hands of English.
Thadi kombu perumal koil
This is 5 Km. from Dindigul on the way to Karur. During Chitra Month, Lord Alagar will have 12 days of special Pooja. During Full moon day of the month Lord Alagar will be on procession of Ethir Servai.
Sri Kottai Mariamman Kovil
This Temple is more than 200 years old. The Mariamman idol is said to be installed by the army men of Tippu Sultan at the fort of the mountain. Hence it is called Kottai (Fort) Mariamman temple. The temple is constructed in the shape of a square. There is a temple for Vetri Vinayaka at the South & Lord Muruga at the North of this temple. There is a Mandapam (Hall) in the centre of the ground in which there is a sculpture of a Lion facing the Sannidhi. The Sanctum Sanctorum is small & square shaped. The deity consecrated (Moolavar) is seen here, embedded deeply under the floor.
Here are several sculpture on the sniper structure over the Sanctum Sanctorum, depicting various incarnations of the goddess Mariamman. All the four sides, various scenes showing the destroying of monster by the goddess are seen. On the eastern side over the Amman Sannidhi is a temple for Vinayaka, and on western side a temple for Madurai Veeran. On the front side of Sannidhithe Navagraha idols are installed. On the back side of the temple, there is an idol of Kaalhi & another one for Dhurga. The temple is situated in such a large are a as 2 acres. The golden shield will adorn the deity on every day between 5 PM to 9 PM. The temple is run by a board of Trustees
Dindigul – Abirami amman Temple
This is located in the centre of the city. During Navarathri Goddess Abirami will be on Kolu. There will be One Lakh Archana to the Goddess Gnamambikal. During the Fridays of Adi month there will be a Procession of Goddess Abirami on a flower Pallak.
This Church was Constructed Since 1866 to 1872 by British. This is the Head Church of all other Roman Catholic Churches in Dindigul District.
Nadupatti – Anjaneyar Temple
This is located in Nilakottai Taluk. 35 Kms from Dindigul. This can be reached from Madurai also. This Temple is near river side. Most of the time the statue will be in water.